History of St Peters

The following information is reproduced from the British Listed Buildings website.

(the Church is a Grade II listed building, the status was granted on 4th March 1999)

 Church. The principal part of the church 1905 and so dated on the foundation stone; the western most twenty feet of the nave and aisles, and the tower, added in 1935; designed by Cossins, Peacock and Bewley and built by Thomas Elvins. Red brick with dressings of buff terracotta, roof of slate. Chancel, nave, north and south transepts, north and south aisles, south-west tower, north-east vestries and south-cast organ chamber. The sanctuary is in the form of a five-sided apse under a lower roof than the choir with a window in each of the 'chamfered' walls and embattled parapet decorated with chequerwork in brick and buff terracotta; the cast window is in the gable to the choir; two windows to north of choir. 


History
Webpage icon History